Collagen-rich bone broth and antioxidant-packed turmeric meet in this savory soup. Full of hearty vegetables and easy, 5-ingredient meatballs, this hearty soup comforts on even the coldest days.
With ample amounts of minerals and amino acids, bone broth is a go-to for many people plagued with gut issues, joint issues, or anyone looking to improve their overall health. As a plus, bone broth’s rich flavor complements many savory recipes. If you are short on time, you can purchase bone broth in many health food grocery stores.
IngredientsFor the Soup:
- 8 cups beef bone broth
- 2 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, minced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground, grass-fed beef
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t cracked fennel
- Prepare / Purchase bone broth in advance.
- Next prepare meatballs by combining ground beef, egg, nutritional yeast, dried basil and cracked fennel in a large bowl. Stir to combine until egg is completely mixed in.
- Form mixture into small meatballs using a tablespoon to scoop and then rolling with hands into balls.
- Lightly grease a large skillet with extra virgin olive oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Add meatballs and brown for 5 minutes, turning occasionally for even browning. Remove pan from heat. Note: Meatballs should NOT be completely cooked.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and carrot. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, turmeric and cabbage. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in bone broth and add meatballs, salt, pepper and sprig of rosemary. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove rosemary sprig. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
- Combine with 1-2 tablespoons arrowroot powder to create a gravy and smother over meat and Paleo biscuits.
- Freeze bone broth in ice cube trays and pop out as needed to melt down and sauté with veggies and stir-fries instead of oil.
- Stir into cauliflower rice to add a meaty flavor.