Cajun Breakfast Bake
- 2 pieces rindless, eye bacon, no fat. diced.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 4 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into bite size pieces
- ½ red capsicum
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked paprika or Cajun Spice
- Preheat oven to 180C
Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil
- Place sweet potato in boiling water and cook until slightly soft (5-10 mins) Take out and set aside to cool.
- In a fry pan, cook bacon, then set aside.
- In the same frypan, heat olive oil and fry onions and capsicum for 5 mins. Now add seasoning, either paprika or Cajun spice, just a sprinkle of both. Add mushrooms and keep cooking on low med heat for a further 3 mins, take off heat.
- Now you will need a small baking dish, approx. 6-7 cups in size. Lay sweet potato on the base, spread the bacon on top, now the onion/capsicum mix. Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and egg whites with the low fat milk. Pour into dish evenly then place the halved tomatoes on top.
- Bake in oven for 40-50 mins. Outside cooks quicker than centre so if still runny in the centre place under grill for 5-10 mins.
- Serve with piece of sourdough toast!